StarVR One User Guide
StarVR One HMD uses the SteamVR™ Tracking technology, and some software are required in order to work functionally: StarVR Compass, SteamVR™ and Tobii EyeTracking Software.
Illustrations provided herein are for reference only. The supported feature is subject to the actual version of the StarVR Compass.
StarVR Compass is the StarVR One companion application. Please go to here to download and install it before using StarVR One HMD.
Once StarVR Compass is completely installed and launched, you will be presented with the console window.
You can find the color status icon shown at top-left of the console window and in the system tray respectively, which provides the connection status of StarVR One HMD. Click the status icon to access the detailed HMD & status information.
|StarVR Compass||System Tray||Description|
General settings allows users to customize experiences with their own needs, for example: change the default Interpupillary distance (IPD) / Field of View (FOV) / Refresh Rate, and enable or disable Auto IPD adjustment / Proximity Sensor / System Notification. You can also determine to run StarVR Compass automatically when Windows startup.
• Auto IPD Adjustment: Adjust IPD automatically when you put on StarVR One HMD. The default setting is On. You may disable it if you’d like to adjust IPD manually.
• Change IPD Default: Once Auto IPD Adjustment is disabled, input a value here to suit your personal needs, and then click Apply. The default value is 64mm, and the acceptable range is from 53mm to 77mm.
- Auto IPD Adjustment function is unavailable If you don't have SteamVR and Tobii software installed yet.
- The Compass will apply the latest value or IPD setting the next time started.
• Change Field of View: Setup Field of View between 110 and 210 degree.
StarVR One HMD features an industry-leading 210 degree horizontal / 130 degree vertical field-of-view, nearly 100% cover range of human's natural vision. It is highly recommended that you select 210 degree to bring you better experiences for immersion in every VR session.
• Refresh Rate: Setup Refresh Rate among 72 Hz, 75 Hz, 89.91 Hz and 90 Hz. To select or change Refresh Rate, you need to exit SteamVR each time. Once Refresh Rate is selected or changed, restart SteamVR to take effect.
• Proximity Sensor: The default setting is On. If the Proximity Sensor is set to On, you can control HMD display on and off by Proximity Sensor. If the Proximity Sensor is set to Off, the HMD display will always stay on displaying contents. It is recommended to set Proximity Sensor on all the time to extend the lifespan of the display.
• System Notification: Systems Notification function provides event notifications. The default setting is On.
• Run StarVR Compass when I start Windows: You can choose whether StarVR Compass is launched at Windows startup.
• Compatible Mode: Enable Compatible Mode if the picture of the game in StarVR One HMD is not superimposed. Note that doing so may have an impact on the performance of the game.
To set 110 degree as default of FOV, please follow the guidance below to activate the compatible mode or contact StarVR service center for the further assistance.
1. Exit the StarVR Compass from system tray.
2. Right click on the StarVR Compass desktop icon and select Properties.
3. Under the Shortcut tab, change the shortcut link by adding
"compatible=enabled" in the Target textbox.
4. Restart StarVR Compass and the compatible mode will be activated.
Display Optimization function allows you to optimize the display viewing for StarVR One HMD. Each StarVR One HMD has its unique optimized value.
For better viewing quality through StarVR One HMD, Display Optimization data needs to be download to your system.
• Download: Click Download, and the system will link to online database to download the unique display optimization data.
• Import: If you are not able to connect to the internet, use Import function to manually import display optimization data to the system.
• Export: Export and save the optimization data to specified folder.
If you want to connect StarVR One HMD to other computers, you may export the optimization data from the original system and import it to the computer which connects to StarVR One HMD currently.
System Updates includes the firmware updates for StarVR One HMD and StarVR Compass application.
• StarVR HMD: StarVR HMD update is to perform the firmware update for StarVR One HMD.
• Installer: Installer update is to perform the latest update for StarVR One and StarVR Compass application.
If there is an available firmware update for StarVR, StarVR Compass will inform you of this with a notification on the console window.
Please DO NOT exit StarVR Compass when updating firmware. If unexpected error occurs and HMD failed to be detected after restarting Compass, power HMD off and power it on again. Wait for about 3 minutes and the firmware will automatically restore to the factory default settings. Then run System Updates again to update to the latest firmware version.
System Status provides status of StarVR One HMD, system data and event logs.
• HMD: This page contains all information about StarVR One HMD and overall status messages. Click Refresh to refresh the page information; click Copy to Clipboard to keep the information to clipboard for later use; click Save to File to save a Text file to your computer.
• System Information: Display current system information and hardware specifications. Click Refresh to refresh the page information; click Copy to Clipboard to keep the information to clipboard for later use; click Save to File to save a Text file to your computer.
• Event Logs: Record the detailed steps/actions that user operates on StarVR Compass, including failed events. Click Refresh to refresh the page information; click Copy to Clipboard to keep the information to clipboard for later use; click Save to File to save a Text file to your computer.
StarVR Compass will stay active in the system tray even though the setup window is closed. You can open the StarVR Compass Console by clicking on the icon in the system tray. To exit StarVR Compass, right click on the StarVR Compass system tray icon and select Exit.
You'll need to have SteamVR™ installed to use your StarVR One HMD and SteamVR™ controllers.
1. Install Steam from here if you haven’t already yet: https://store.steampowered.com/
2. Create an account and sign in.
3. Download and install SteamVR™.
Follow SteamVR™ guidance to pair controllers and run calibration.
If you aren’t automatically prompted to install SteamVR™, go to Library > Tools and install SteamVR™ from the list.
Once SteamVR™ is installed, you’ll see a icon at top-right of Steam window (near the minimize and maximize buttons).
You’ll see this message asking you to do the calibration using Room Setup at the first time SteamVR™ is launched:
Setting for SteamVR™ Tracking
After launching SteamVR™, the SteamVR™ Home panel will be displayed.
The icons indicate SteamVR™ Tracking faceplate and StarVR One HMD.
The tracking signal is sent to SteamVR™ via the tracking plug-in of StarVR One HMD. Once SteamVR™ is connected, StarVR One HMD will create its own tracking.
Need more help
If you encounter any issues when using SteamVR™, please visit SteamVR™ Help Web for further assistance and support.